arrow Magistrate Home

arrow Abandoned Vehicles
arrow Bad Checks
arrow Drug Court
arrow Environmental Court
arrow Garnishments
arrow Landlord / Tenant
arrow Mediation
arrow Pretrial Court Services
arrow Small Claims Court
arrow Weddings

arrow eFIle
arrow eAnswer
arrow Filing Fees
arrow FAQ's
arrow Forms
arrow Court Calendars
arrow Judges Directory
arrow Attorney Login

Joyette Holmes
Chief Magistrate

Deena Fincher
Court Administrator

Tahnicia Phillips
Clerk of Court

32 Waddell Street
Marietta, GA 30090
(770) 528-8900
(770) 528-8947 fax

Cobb County Government
100 Cherokee Street
Marietta, GA 30090
(770) 528-1000
(770) 528-2490 fax

arrow Contact Us

Magistrate Court - Abandoned Motor Vehicles

In order for your Petition to be processed immediately, please complete the following procedures before filing a Foreclosure of Abandoned Motor Vehicle in Cobb County:

A. Prior to filing a Petition for Foreclosure of Abandoned Motor Vehicle:

Send proper notice to the Motor Vehicle Division of the Department of Revenue (DMV) requesting the name and address of all owners, lessors, lessees, security interest holders, and lienholders.

Check the motor vehicle records of another state if you have reason to believe that the vehicle is registered or titled in such other state.

Notify, all owners, lessors, lessees, security interest holders, and lienholders listed on the DMV printout and/or the records of another state by registered or certified mail of the location of the vehicle and the fact that it is deemed abandoned and shall be disposed of if not redeemed.

If the identity of the owner cannot be ascertained, advertise in the Marietta Daily Journal once a week for two consecutive weeks.

Make written demand for payment upon all ascertained owners, lessors, lessees, security interest holders, and lienholders. If, within ten (10) days of delivery of said demand, the ascertained persons fail to respond or refuse to pay, a Petition to Foreclose Abandoned Motor Vehicle may be filed.

B. Upon filing your Petition to Foreclose, submit the following (do not staple):

A copy of the Georgia Motor Vehicle Services or Vehicle Title & Tag Information sheet (attached hereto as Exhibit 1).

A copy of the advertisement, if applicable (See A3).

Current fees can be found by selecting the Filing Fees link.

C. Within thirty (30) days after the date of a public sale:

Submit a copy of the bill of sale, as provided to the purchaser, with the corresponding civil action case number.

Submit all proceeds of the sale exceeding the amount of the lien stated in the order to the clerk of the court.

Your petition will be returned or dismissed if the above procedures are not followed correctly.